Yes you have read the title right, this is a recipe for a honey and zucchini cake, so if you are looking for a recipe that will shock and surprise your friends then your search is over. I am always intrigued to try unusual flavor combinations and when I seen this recipe I thought I need to make this, this sounds so weird I need to know if it works. I must admit after I mixed all the ingredients together I was not convinced, lets just say I didn’t feel tempted to lick the bowl clean because the mixture did not look appetizing. However despite my reservation the cake tasted great and the best thing is it’s really healthy; the wholemeal flour, oil, honey and zucchini makes this cake healthy so it is the best of both worlds. I really would urge you to try this cake and to not be put off by how weird it is because it really is worth it. Happy Baking!!!
MAKES: 1 Loaf PREP TIME: 15mins BAKE TIME: 45mins
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 100g Clear Honey
- 100ml Sunflower Oil
- 70g Light Brown Muscovado Sugar
- 1 Medium Courgette (approx 200g)
- 225g Plain Wholemeal Flour
- 2tsp Baking Powder
- 1tsp Ground Mixed Spice or Cinnamon
- 50g Chopped Hazelnuts
- 100g Dark or Milk Chocolate Chips
- 1tbsp honey, warmed, to finish
- Heat your oven to 180c and prepare your loaf tin with some baking parchment.
- Break the eggs in to a large mixing bowl and add the sunflower oil, honey and sugar. Beat the mixture together until thoroughly combined.
3. Rinse and dry the courgette, then trim off the ends. Roughly grate the zucchini and weigh out 175g (discard the rest you won’t need it). TIP: Try and grate round the middle of the zucchini, as the middle is really watery and can water down the mixture. Stir the grated zucchini into the egg mixture.
4. Sift the flour, baking powder and mixed spice or cinnamon into the bowl, add any bran left in the sieve. Mix in the dry ingredients an, then stir in the chocolate chips and nuts (if using) until thoroughly combined.
5. Transfer the mixture to your prepared tin and bake for 45mins until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
6. Place the tin on a rack and immediately brush with the warmed up honey. Run a knife round the side of the tin to loosen the cake, and leave it in the tin for approx. 15mins. Carefully lift the cake out of the tin and on to the rack. Leave the cake to fully cool before slicing. Serve and enjoy.
Recipe Taken From: The Great British Bake Off Everyday.