Don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients in this recipe because this cake is really worth it. It’s full of flavor and goodness, it’s perfect if your watching the calories but craving that sweet treat. I understand that Chia Seeds are expensive and especially here in Doha at about 50Qr, however if your lucky enough to have some then this recipe is the perfect one to use them in. Try this cake out and you will love it just as much as I do 🙂
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour (plain flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup ripe mashed banana (about 2-3 bananas)
- 1 tbsps coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup soft brown sugar
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp milk (soy, coconut, or almond also work)
- 3/4 cup diced ripe strawberries
- 1/4 cup smashed raspberries (or you can use more strawberries which is what I done)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut, plus 3 tablespoons for topping (sweetened is fine, too)
- 2 tbsps chia seeds
- 2-4 strawberries, sliced for topping
- Preheat oven to 180/160c (fan). Grease 9-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a seperate large bowl, beat together banana, brown sugar, egg, coconut oil, vanilla, yogurt, and milk until smooth and creamy. Slowly add dry mixture to wet ingredients, and mix until combined. Gently fold strawberries, raspberries, coconut and chia seeds into the batter.
- Place batter in prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle top evenly with 3 tablespoons of coconut. Place sliced strawberries over the top of the bread. Bake for 50-65 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 20 minutes, then remove from pan and return to wire rack to finish cooling. Bread is even better the next day.
- Bread will stay fresh for a few days when wrapped tightly.